Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Strangely Delicious

Last Sunday, hubby and I went to an Ethiopian restaurant for the first time.  We really had no idea what to expect.  We both ordered the Vegetarian Combo plate.  I wish I would have taken a photo of it BEFORE I devoured it.  Here's what it looked like after I was VERY full.


There were 5 different vegetables, served on a GIANT plate.  It was the biggest plate I'd ever seen! I have to say I have NEVER tasted such delicious vegetables in my entire life.  My taste buds were in heaven!  The veggies were:

Gomen - Chopped collard greens steamed and tastefully heightened with garlic, jalapeño peppers, and traditional spices.
Fesolia - A mixed vegetable stew of string beans, carrots, tomatoes, and onions deliciously seasoned with garlic, ginger, and turmeric.
Yemisir Wot (spicy) - Red lentil splits slowly cooked in flavorful berbere sauce with red onions and a blend of traditional spices simmered to perfection. 
Tikil Gomen - Lightly spiced cabbage sautéed in a mild sauce.  
Ater Kik - Split peas simmered in a mild and flavorful herb sauce with turmeric.

I am NOT a fan of cabbage but this was fantastic, probably my favorite. The spongy bread that the food was sitting on is called injera.  It has an unusual taste and texture but compliments the food.  The purpose of the injera is to be used as an eating utensil.  You tear a strip off and use it to grab up the food.  It actually works pretty good although I would have preferred traditional silverware.  I really wanted to eat the rest of it because it was a mix of all the flavors but I was just so full it was impossible.  I look forward to going there again!



F

5 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Not a whole lot different from Dhosa (pancake) and Jalfrezi Sabzi of South India. There, the 'bread' is fermented rice and fenugreek seeds, ground into a batter. Absolutely yummoolushus!!! Injera is made with teff flour, an ancient grass grain and, again, it is fermented to create the 'rise'. It is gluten free. I am delighted you found joy in this food!
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I couldn't pronounce the words it looks delicious.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a recipe for the fasolia, no tumeric, but it also has sliced red potatoes in it. It's not hard at all if you want me to send it to you. The crepe like bread is made out of teff flour which is one I played with while trying some gluten free recipes. Looks SO yummy. I've been to Africa as a pilot but really didn't get to go out and enjoy the local culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL to Diana's comment....when we go to our favorite Mediterranean there is a lot of pointing but you said F, every mouth full is delicious.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave me a comment. Even if only one word so I know you were here.