Monday, October 16, 2017

Wheat Berries with Butternut Squash

OK, shockingly, I followed through on my threat to make this recipe.  It is from an ebook I recently purchased (for the ridiculously low price of $1.99) titled "The Ultimate Vegetarian Slow Cooker Cookbook: 200 Flavorful and Filling Meatless Recipes That Prep Fast and Cook Slow."  See it here.

First I gathered all my ingredients.  Although I am a rare cook, I am a neat and orderly one.


The recipe called for 3 cups of Butternut Squash but my crockpot is larger and I wanted plenty to freeze so I used the whole squash.


Seriously, did you think I just tossed the whole thing in the crockpot?  Have you no faith in me lol?


Added 2 cups of Wheat Berries.  This was my first time to use them.


Added 1 cup apple juice.


Added 3 shallots



1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

I omitted the teaspoon of salt since the broth has plenty of salt in it.  The book has a recipe for making veggie broth in the crockpot  that I will try sometime.


6 cups of veggie broth.  Oops, forgot to take a picture but you can visualize it.  It also called for 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger but I didn't find any in the cupboard so I experimented and used nutmeg instead (per a suggestion when I googled it).

Mixed it all up . . . 


Cooked on low for about 7 hours (recipe said 6-8).


When squash was tender (7 hours) gently mix in 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese.


Ready for supper!


The Results:  It tasted good, (not as good as the creamy Butternut Squash I will be making tomorrow) but next time I would only use half the wheat berries and would not mix in the parmesan, sprinkle it on top instead.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's soup!




F

3 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ...............dddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooollllllllllllll.............
    Actually, I do something quite similar, but use barley as the grain; same but different. I also don't take onions/shallots - but celery is the great alternative. Definitely a dish which can be 'tinkered' and so full of wholesome fillingness!!!
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the mixture of apple juice and shallots along with the butternut squash...was it a sweeter taste??

    Wish I could get the Engineer to eat stuff like this!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the kind of soup I would love for my lunches, if only I liked cutting a squash!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave me a comment. Even if only one word so I know you were here.