Friday, September 9, 2016

My Heart

Bob and I went to a Healthy Heart Fair this morning.  It was put on by one of the local hospitals. The first thing they do is take an assessment.  Anyone who got too many points was referred to another area to get EKG and ABI tests.


I took the assessment.  It was a matter of answering some questions (exercise, family history, etc.), getting evaluated for weight, blood pressure, body fat (EEK!), pulse, and BMI.  Then you took the information back to the main desk and they totalled your score.  I assumed I would have a low score cuz afterall, I'm fairly fit.

There were a total of 15 points possible. I got 4 points. My points were from:


  • Age - 2 points
  • Family History - 1 point
  • Body fat - 1 point


So really, the only thing I had any control over was my body fat.  I assumed when they totalled my risk they would tell me how awesome I was and send me on my way.  Oops . . . you know what they say about assuming things!

At 4 points one is determined to be at an increased risk for heart disease (WTF?) and I was sent over for the EKG and ABI.  I didn't mind getting these tests.  In fact I liked the idea because I am very much into monitoring my health.  I just didn't like the idea I was suddenly in the company of people who were obese and sedentary.  This did not look like my people!  But, it is what it is . . .

An EKG can find:


  • Problems with your heart rate
  • Problems with heart rhythm
  • Damaged heart muscle (a prior heart attack for instance)
  • Increased thickness in the heart muscle
  • Problems with blood flow to heart


An ABI (ankle brachial index test evaluates the pressure in your arms and legs) helps assess the risk for stroke, heart disease, and peripheral arterial disease.  Your pressure should be about the same in both areas.


Since the ones doing the tests can never tell you anything (other than they didn't see any problems), they just told me to go back into the big room (the fair) and ask one of the PA's if I have any questions.  So I took my reports to the PA and was told I was awesome, had great legs and that everything was just fine.  I knew it but a confirmation is always good!



C

3 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    As a retired medico (and an honourary obese sedantary type with the heart health of an ox) I can tell you that there is much to commend medical measurement advances... but lament the tendency to 'sickify' the population. An example of this was in our news this very evening; a 'university' just released research 'proving' statins were not as dangerous as has been thought and that they are 'sadly under-prescribed'. Then it was let slip the research was funded by the biggest company with vested interest in sale of said pills... The continual lowering of 'the norms' for measurements is a great diservice. I'll get off the soapbox now.

    You, dear pal, are an example for all and I am not all surprised you were 'cleared'!!!
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, many findings are a bit biased. When you see who's paying for them it's no surprise! As a consumer of health sometimes it's confusing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well NB I coulda told you you were awesome without all the rigamarow
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave me a comment. Even if only one word so I know you were here.