Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Procrastination Is A Fine Art!

Up early for our 7 miler.  Jumped on scale, no changes.  Had breakfast.


It was really humid for our run since it rained last night.  On Wednesdays we start our run from our driveway.  Other days we drive down the big hill. I was glad to get it done!  Came home showered and enjoyed coffee, toast & the morning newspaper.


During the run I was thinking about how I need to start working on gathering everything for my yard sale next month.  That's the plan anyway. Although I love getting rid of stuff, I dread the actual job of gathering it up.  When we built this house 15 years ago I said I hoped we would never fill it up.  I enjoyed the openness.  We have since filled it up.  Too much stuff is stressful.  Unfortunately hubby does not share this sentiment.

As requested, here is the recipe for English (Peach) Tea Scones.  The original called for heavy cream but the yogurt substitutes very well (as it does in most recipes).  Instead of sugar I (OK, hubby since he is the baker) use Splenda to help reduce calories.  At one point we tried the old Weight Watchers trick of substituting applesauce for butter but it totally removed the joy from the scones.  Sometimes the calories are worth the taste ha! ha!  Anyway, after the come out of the oven and cool, I wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then put them in a big freezer bag.  They freeze very well and after a minute in the microwave taste as good as fresh.

Peach Tea Scones:

Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 450º F.

Whisk together thoroughly in a large bowl:

2 cups flour          
 ⅓ cup Splenda           
1 tablespoons baking powder        
 ½ teaspoon salt

Drop in:

6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces.  Cut in until the largest pieces are the size of peas. Do not allow the butter to melt or form a paste with the flour.

Stir in:

½ cups fruit, drained  (you can use peaches, blackberries, raspberries, etc.)
½ cups white chocolate drops

Whisk together, then add all at once:

1 large egg
1(4 oz) containers yogurt (we use vanilla)

Mix with a rubber spatula, wooden spoon, or fork just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gather the dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of the bowl 5 to 10 times, turning and pressing any loose pieces into the dough each time they adhere and the bowl is fairly clean. Spoon onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Place at least ½ inch apart.

Brush the tops with milk.  Bake until the tops are golden brown. 12 to 15 minutes.  Cool on a rack.

Love me some peach scones!

Next on the agenda, Lunch!


I love to read.  Once I start a book, I have trouble putting it down.  Unfortunately, the total lack of activity from such immersion does not bode well with my efforts to be more active.  And for some reason once we got the boys (2012) my reading plummeted.  The kids automatically give us gift cards to Barnes & Noble for every holiday.  I belong to Goodreads so if anyone is on there, send me a friend request!  I have to apologize to Lin cuz I have not gotten to her book yet.  To be honest, I keep forgetting I have it since my library is on the NOOK app.  But I will get to it!!  What I'm currently reading:  Burn Down The Ground
I just joined Goodreads in 2009 so no books were really registered until 2010
I wonder if it would be possible to do a Blogville Book Club?  The only hard part would be figuring out how to discuss the book.  Something to think about!  [Disclosure:  Notice how I am not working on my project of gathering items for the yard sale?]

OK, I am doing a great job of NOT getting to my Yard Sale Prep chores!  Hubby and I had to take a "quick trip" to the mall (for something he needed).  Wow, it's coffee break!


Then I settled down to do some reading and before I knew it, it was supper time!  I scraped together a few little tomatoes (still waiting on the giant one!) for the salad.  I have plenty of cukes!  Some eggplant cutlets and baked beans and it's a full meal.


And some granola and cheese will put an end to this day (eating wise).


The END!

3 comments:

  1. You BETTER get to your garage sale stuff lol
    Sometimes my Motto is: Why do today what you can put off for tomorrow!!!

    Id do a book read as long as it is a craft book lol
    Not really much of a reader unless it really really really interest me. I was one of those that turned 5 after school started and so I struggled all through school and my comprehension is not what it should be and I always hated reading cuz I have to read it a zillion times to get what it says. *sigh*

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read...ALOT!!!! The joys of commuting to work....the ONLY joy in my commute to work!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    YAAAYYY thanks for the recipe - got my list made! I was ever an avid reader... but sporadically; first came the computing degree, then the medical, then the theological..... and when I am in study mode, nothing gets read other than the appropriate material. since India, I have hardly read a thing - despite having quite a pile on my Kindle app.... sigh...

    Stuff just appears, doesn't it? ...I am the past master at decluttering - now get to it gal!!!
    Eyes-on...YAM xx

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave me a comment. Even if only one word so I know you were here.